Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Coming Together!!!

Hi guys!
Sorry to have been away from blogging so long, but I have been working on this historic election. And today is the day...so go vote!!!! No matter your view, this has been the most exciting election in years. What a ride!

My husband is constantly telling me that people don’t want to hear my political views; they want to hear what I think about food and living a healthy life. Well, as much as I love my husband (and I do adore him), I think that part of living a healthy life is working to make a difference…and not just in our personal health.

Whether the outcome of this historic moment leaves you feeling like damage has been done, undone or just begun, by this time tonite, it will be done. I have been politically active for most of my adult life and never thought I would see the day, in this fine country, when people of opposing views treated each other like mortal enemies instead of simply people of differing ideas and direction for our country. I never thought I would see the day when people feared for their safety…and that of their family…if they spoke out on an issue, regardless of their position.

It seems to me, as I move through my days, that the ‘threat of terrorism’ and 'patriotism,' have made bad behavior permissible once again, racism, cruelty, ignorance and violence. It seems that our basic civilities are eroding, along with our civil rights.

Our comfortable, secure lifestyle has been forever changed and whatever the outcome of this economic crisis, it does not give us the right to threaten each other or those running for public office. It does not give us the right to deride people of differing opinions, either liberal or conservative. It does not give us the right to divide our great country out of fear.

We live in a wonderful melting pot of a country; we all want the same things, good lives, simple abundance and a safe existence. We can never have that if we continue to abuse each other over our differences. We can never have that if we continue to pull apart, instead of together. We can never have that if we don’t embrace our neighbors, speak up and take action when we see injustice. We, as citizens, must work together. Debate is one thing…I love a good discussion with someone of differing ideologies. I always learn something. But derision is quite another matter.

It’s time to step up and create the communities we want to live in. Ours is a country built on revolution and action. Any change for the better has begun with the people of this land speaking out and saying ‘enough!’ Help to create the change you want to see.

Remember these great words as you go through your days…they are words that are at the core of who we are as Americans: ‘I may disagree with your views, but I will fight to the death for your right to have them.’

There is no time to lose. We have a lot of work to do…to get our country back on track…and regardless of who will carry the burden of the Presidency, we must work together as one people and we must be healthy and fit to meet the challenges we face.

1 comment:

christea said...

Great post Christina!

It's a beautiful morning!
God Bless The United States of America!
Celebrate by doing something for someone less fortunate or donating to your local food pantry, your favorite charity and don't forget Christina's Healthcare Initiative!

YES WE CAN!